Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Air America and the Repugnant Huckster, Part IV: Wendi Friesen Tries Scare Tactics to Silence the JABBS Protest

Wendi Friesen e-mails back:

My attorney at Heritage Law Group will be in touch with you today.

The claims that Penn and Teller made were fabricated. They did not interview me about health or cancer or illness. They were notified by my attorney, in advance, that they were not to make any health claims and that the hypnotherapy work I do is a complimentary to medical care, not an alternative. I NEVER, EVER would or have asked any client or customer to use this as an alternative. There is nothing advertised, stated or implied anywhere that states a person should use my product instead of medical care. Yes, hypnotherapy stimulates your immune system and increases the killer T-cells. Fact. And that is what I stated. My claims are simple and are from the research that is available to everyone.

Your attack is malicious and my attorney will be in contact with you. I will pursue this to the fullest extent. I will not allow someone to attack me in this way. I have a wonderful, successful, rewarding business that is creating on the ethical and professional use of hypnosis and an excellent staff of 10 people who love and respect what I do.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Wendi Friesen

>>

To which I replied:

Hi:

Clearly, you didn't read my earlier post.

I have a right to my opinion. I have a right to say that I find your advertising pitch for "Heal Your Body" repugnant. I can say that because the basic pitch, read as is, could easily lead a desperate soul to choose your product for $29 as an alternative to a doctor's care.

I am not suggesting, nor have I suggested, that you labeled your CD as an alternative to doctor's care. I have not said at any time that you have claimed your CD can cure someone of cancer.

But a reasonable person could read your advertising pitch and infer either of those, because at no time on the website page do you suggest that your CD should be used as part of a broader wellness program that first and foremost includes a doctor's care.

Check out this website address:
http://www.wendi.com/cart/html/heal_body_hypnosis.html

This is the entire script on that page:

Be sure to look at the Body Mastery Series of CD's for an outstanding healing program. Click here for more information.This program is a breakthrough in mind body communication. Heal Your Body - One of our best selling CDs. Designed for those with cancer, chronic or other serious illness, this tape inspires you to choose LIFE, stimulates your immune system to fight, and some say... creates miracles. 2 different sides, one will access your ability to heal, the second will strengthen your immune system.You will also want to learn about the Body Mastery Program to achieve excellent health. This new program really integrates the mind and body to create the healthiest condition possible. Click here to learn more.

>>

I'm not doing any trickery. I haven't changed any of your language one iota. When I read this script, my first reaction is that this CD has some ability to treat my cancer. There is NOTHING on the page that says "use this CD as part of your cancer treatment" or "this CD, when incorporated with your other cancer treatment, can strengthen your immune system ..."

You, Wendi Friesen, are the one who should be ashamed of yourself. And instead of having an open mind, and recognizing that there may be another opinion than your own, and that what you have written in this advertising script is offensive to me, a leukemia survivor (as well as to nearly everyone that I have read the script to), you try to bully me?

You could take the high road, Wendi. You could reconsider the script. Simply adding a couple of lines of text to this web page, and any other similar web pages, would make a difference. Simply checking the text of the literature that accompanies the CD, to make sure that you are doing all you can to make sure that your customers with cancer seek PROPER medical care, would make a difference.

I don't want to put you out of business. As I said before, I have no problem with your business, the other products that you offer, or hypnotherapy as a profession. But I do find fault with this advertising pitch, and that is why I have protested loudly.

I look forward to explaining all of this to your attorney. In the interim, perhaps you should reconsider your bullying tactics, and once again accept my challenge to take an objective look at your advertising pitch for "Heal Your Body," and consider why so many find it offensive.

David R. Mark
http://jabbs.blogspot.com

Want to complain directly to Wendi Friesen? You can e-mail her at office@wendi.com. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares